Airlie Beach a thriving and popular backpacker destination, a backpacker haven.
Airlie Beach is a town that is a backpacker haven, and is the closest port from which to access the Whitsunday islands on the Great Barrier Reef. The population is around 29,000 residents it is developed to cater for almost every kind of tourist and backpacker, and is the major hub for trips out to the Whitsunday islands.
Airlie Beach is the gateway to the Whitsunday Islands, Airlie is relatively small but is a constant party place for backpackers. There is an oversuply of bars, clubs, pubs and cafés, this is due to the fact that Backpackers use the town to embark on the mandatory Whitsunday cruise, but yachties and local holidaymakers also congregate here. All this activity takes place on the main drag, Shute Harbour Rd. Airlie boasts an excellent range of accommodation, and one of the best artificial lagoons, right on the foreshore.
Its location makes it the perfect backpacker base for exploring the extremely popular Whitsundays. A group of seventy-four islands, the majority of which are uninhabited, these are as close to island paradise as you will get. The town’s subtropical latitude also adds to its appeal ensuring virtual all year round sunshine. And, as if all of this wasn’t enough, Airlie is as close to the Great Barrier Reef as Cairns but because the area is less crowded than the latter, the service you will receive from the tour operators in Airlie is second to none.
The main reason backpackers come to Airlie Beach is to take a sailing trip. Here are some list below.
* Pacific Sunrise Whitsundays Pacific Sunrise does luxury sailing trips of the whitsunday islands and the great barrier reef from airlie.
* Schooner Whitsunday Magic Whitsunday magic whitsundays. A 115ft mediterranean luxury schooner doing whitsunday island sailing trips.
* Anaconda III whitsundays sailing trips. Single berth or private charter traveling to the whitsunday islands and the great barrier reef.
* Solway Lass Solway Lass whitsundays is a beautifully restored tallship over 100 years old doing cruises of the whitsunday islands from airlie beach
* Avatar Sailing Avatar does high speed whitsundays sailing trips. Avatar is a large racing trimaran.
* Atlantic Clipper Whitsundays Atlantic Clipper is one of the largest vessels in the Whitsundays that has onboard diving.
One of the most popular destinations on the island cruises is Whitsunday Island itself and the world renowned Whitehaven Beach. Eight kilometres of white sand and turquoise waters, this beach is like nothing you have ever seen before and this is strongly reflected in the fact that it has been voted one of the top ten beaches on the planet. As well as the beach itself fishing in the area is great and dolphins and turtles can be spotted almost ever day.
Share this article:
Airlie Beach - Back to Top
Fruit Picking Work near Airlie
Back to Backpacking Aus Home Page
Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.